The town's name derives from the Lombard word "Wald" (forest). Municipality in the province of Macerata, located between the Mounts Sibillini and the sea, on a hill between the valleys of the streams Tennacola and Salino, bordering with the province of Fermo, Gualdo is a typical medieval center, that features a charming atmosphere. Walking through the alleys of the old town, between the remains of the towers, that once were used to spot enemies, its visitors get the feeling of stepping back in time. There are several nature trails that branch off into the surrounding countryside and that offer the opportunity to relax and spend some time in a peaceful ambience.
The village was founded around the year 1000, a period in which the area was subject to the Lombards. During this period of domination, these rulers ordered the construction of the castle and the first fortified wall. In the first half of the XIV century, the town submitted the domain of the City of Fermo and for this reason it became scenario of contrasts with the municipality of San Ginesio, historical enemy of Fermo. In 1374, the troops of Gualdo and Fermo inflicted a severe defeat to those of San Ginesio. The clashes between these rivals ended a century later, when the Pope defined the town's bounderies. Gualdo was submitted to Fermo until 1827, when it passed in the province of Macerata and remains so still today.
- the Church of San Savino, probably from the XIII century, was rebuilt in the late XVIII century and features a Greek cross plan building in the Neoclassical style. Inside are preserved rich and valuable artworks of Liozzi and a XVII century stone relief depicting the Virgin Mary;
- the Church of Madonna delle Grazie, probably built in the XII, features an arcade on two levels and preserves inside a XV century fresco depicting the Madonna delle Grazie, an object of great devotion;
- the XVI Franciscan monastery;
- two series of ancient city walls, the oldest, built in the X century and remains of which are still visible, while the second is the later, and was built in the XIV century. Of the five original towers unfortunately there are no traces.