A small town situated between the hills in the province of Ancona, located on the left bank of the river Esino, which consists of an oval-shaped cluster of houses, intersected by two main roads, surrounded by a superb environment. The Old Town features typical medieval elements, such as the ancient walls, the two main gate entrances, linked by a narrow thoroughfare that cuts the town in a longitudinal way. The town's economy is based mainly on agriculture and local handicraft.
The area was inhabited since ancient times, as evidenced by the discovery of a tomb of the Piceno era and several other findings, while later it was colonized by the Romans. In the Middle Ages, approximately in the XIII century, the town center was fortified with the construction of a castle. Assigned to the Bishop of Jesi, the town submitted the great influence of the monastic orders, present in the area, at the time. Documents of the second half of the XIII century, report the presence of a town centre, that was already quite large at that time. From the earliest years of the XIV century and for a long period of time, Poggio San Marcello was subject to Jesi, with accuracy up to the Napoleonic invasion. Between the XVII and XVIII centuries, the local economy flourished and several important buildings were erected to embellish the centre. In the first half of the XX century, and for nearly twenty years, the municipality lost its autonomy and was incorporated as a district, between the territories of the nearby town of Castelpiano.
- the Church of Our Lady of Salvation, which was built in 1652 to replace the previous building (1524), located outside the city walls. Built in Neo-classical style, the façade presents several niches with statues of saints and lancet windows. Inside are preserved four XVII century altars and a wooden statue of the Virgin. The church is flanked by a Bell Tower, built at a later stage;
- the Romanesque Church of San Marcello al Poggio, called so, because situated on a hill overlooking the town and built between the XV and XVI centuries in place of a pre-existing church of the XII century. Inside is preserved a XV century fresco depicting the Crucifixion, of the Art School of Fabriano;
- the Church of St. Nicholas of Bari, which was built inside the castle in the XIV century as a chapel and enlarged in the XVI century. The present church structure is of the XVIII century, from a design of the famous architect Capponi. Inside is kept a XVI century fresco depicting the Crucifixion;
- the Church of Santa Maria del Monte, whose presence is documented since the XII century;
- the Town Hall, built in the second half of the XVIII century and designed by Andrea Vici and is richly decorated with frescoes. It is a two-story building with a large porch that brings to the main entrance;
- the remains of the fortified walls built in the early XVI century;
- the historical Theater;
- the Castle.