Corinaldo is a town in the province of Ancona, built along the slopes of a hill surrounded by vines that produce a high-quality Verdicchio. The municipality, located between the rivers Misa and Cesano, preserves intact its late medieval urban layout, with strong fortified walls dating from the XIV century, built in brick interrupted by ramparts, that create a sort of treasure chest that holds within splendid palaces, buildings in Gothic style, winding streets, neighborhoods arranged in terraces, connected by steps and crossed by streets. It is also a pilgrimage destination since St. Maria Goretti was born here.
The city was probably erected around year 1000 and for its location, between the State of Urbino and the Marquis of Ancona, it was disputed by Guelphs and Ghibellines. The town submitted the domain of Nicholas Boscareto, appointed, at the times, Imperial Vicar. In 1360 it was destroyed by the troops of Pope Innocent VI and rebuilt a few years later and surrounded by fortifications, still visible today. In the following years the town suffered the domination of the Sforza and the Della Rovere. Pope Leo X raised Corinaldo to the rank of the city and in the XVII century, it experienced a period of great development and prosperity in every field.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of San Francesco, which was built in the XVIII century by the architect Vici. It presents an incomplete façade, some side chapels and inside preserves some valuable paintings by Ridolfi;
- the Shrine dedicated to St. Maria Goretti, former church and convent of St. Augustine, which is a complex built between the XVII and XVIII centuries, located in a position overlooking the town;
- the octagonal shaped Church of the Suffrage, which preserves inside a masterpiece of the artist Ridolfi;
- the Church of Our Lady of Piano;
- the Church of Our Lady in Pain;
- the Town hall, built in 1772 in place of an existing building that belonged to the Malatesta Family, in Renaissance style, it features a tower and a beautiful porch;
- the Bell Tower of St. Peter's Church, demolished in 1870, rebuilt and restructured in the XIX century;
- the very well preserved defensive walls, 912 meters long;
- the XVII century Palazzo Cesarini Romualdi;
- the Civic Art Gallery entitled to Claudio Ridolfi;
- the Hall of the Popular Customs and Traditions;
- the Goldoni Theatre built in 1864.