Small city located on a hill top in the Western inland area of the Salento Region, Scorrano was inhabited since the Bronze Ages, evidenced by the menhir visible near the centre. It was dominated over the ages by Romans, Byzantines and Normans. With Tancredi d'Altavilla, the city became part of the Contado di Lecce and was ruled by the feudal lords till 1806, year in which the feudal laws were banned.
Some historians tribute the name of the city to the Roman leader Marco Emilio Scauro, whilst for others it derives from the Roman name Scurra.
The Mother Church of Santa Domenica features a typical Latin Cross basilica plan, with a larger central nave and two aisles. Near the transept, near the left aisle, rises the bell tower.
The Church of Cappuccini Convent, entitled to Santa Maria degli Angeli, was built in XVI century from designs of Evangelio Profilo of Copertino; the façade is in stone of Lecce, embellished by an important portal and a large central window.
The Church of San Francesco (known as degli Agostiniani) of the XVII century is in Baroque style and is rectangular shaped nave building, built by a porched Cloister.
The Porta Terra (gate towards the Lands) is the most antique example of its kind in the whole Lands of Otranto and it is the only trace of the fortified walls that, in the Middle Ages, surrounded the city centre.
Not to miss: Palazzo Veris, the present Town Hall; Palazzo Frisari, built on the ruins of the old castle and Casa Palazziata of the XVIII century.