Leverano is a small town, located at approx. 20 km from Lecce and counts approx. 3000 inhabitants. Porto Cesareo is its natural mouth to the sea at 9 km.
Founded in the Giustinian Ages by the survivors of the two farm houses Sant'Angelo and Torricella, after the raids of the army of Totila, king of the Ostrogoths .
The city developed in the IX century but submitted various attacks and raids by the Saracens. The Emperor Federico II in 1220 had an impressive edified tower, 28 meters tall, a square shape building which can still be admired at the centre of the town.
During the Middle Ages the town was dominated and ruled by important feudal Families: Castriota and Pignatelli.
Of historical interest: the Mother Church, originally built in 1589 and completely refurbished after the earthquake of 1743.
Leverano is an important agricultural centre where important vineyards find their location. Important labels of the area are "Rosso Doc Leverano" and the "Rosato Doc Leverano" , wines produced with grapes of the famous grapevines Negroamaro and Malvasia.
Not less important are: the flower cultivation, sold at the "Municipal Flower Market"; the production of first fruits and olive oil.