Tricase rises in a very rich area of Prehistoric and Megalithic traces. In 1030 three old fortified mansions were merged into one, to create a more effective defensive bulwark, built to defend the local population against the continuous Saracen invasions. The city was ruled by various feudal lords and the richest period is recorded under the domination of the Princes of the Gallone Family, who held the city from the late XVI century until 1806, the year of the abolition of feudalism.
The Castle or Palace of the Gallons is one of the most significant monuments of Tricase, today seat of the Town Hall. This palace is composed of three main constructions: the Tower, the Bulwark and the main body of the building. The first two parts are the oldest and still retain the characteristic structure of the XIV century, whilst the central core, was built in 1661 by Stephen II Gallon, first Prince of Tricase.
In the Baron's Palace, entitled to the poet Comi, it is possible to admire, on the ground floor, the Provincial Library "Girolamo Comi" and on the first floor the museum Comi, where a rich collection of books and the writings of poet of Salento are preserved.
Tutino Castle, dated XVI century, was built by Don Luigi Trani. The building was reinforced with nine towers, of which, at present, only five are still standing.
The Mother Church, entitled to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, is dated 1736. It 'a Latin cross shaped building and preserves inside valuable paintings of famous artists such as: Catalano, Veronese, Finoglio and Jacopo Palma il giovane. The pulpit, masterpiece of Raffaele Monteanni from Lequile, dates back to 1795. Important pieces are the balustrade and the wooden gate, both artworks of Emanuele Orfano of Alessano.
The Dominican Church, built in Baroque style, was completed in 1688 and faces onto the Piazza Giuseppe Pisanelli. This church was built on the ruins of a more ancient one that faced, at its time, towards South, along the Via Guidone Aymone.
Not to miss: the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, Church of the Madonna di Costantinopoli, the Abbey of Santa Maria de Amito.