The same town council includes the towns of Diso and Marittima. The total amount of the inhabitants are approx. 3200 and 2/3 of these local people live in Marittima. The territory includes a 3 km beach that connects Marina di Castro to Marina di Andrano.
From recent excavations in the area, a series of traces of Messapi era (an antique Italic population) have been found. The original name "Dizo", comes from these times and means fortified city.
More detailed traces are basically from the Middle Ages onwards.
The history of Diso and Castro have always been similar; around year 1000, Castro was a simple farmhouse of the County of Diso. Around 1600, after the raids of the Turks, most of the inhabitants took refuge here and Diso became the most important centre of the County. In 1806, thanks to the Napoleon laws, Diso was proclaimed town hall and included under its jurisdiction Castro and Marittima.
Not to miss: The Mother Church, built in 1718 and entitled to the patron Saints Filippo and Giacomo; the Church of the Immacolata and the Convent of the Cappuccini monks.