CASARANO is situated half way between Lecce and S. Maria di Leuca. It is a town of approx. 20000 inhabitants, which has registered a high demographic growth over the last century; in 1911 the population was censored and counted 10569 people.
This growth is due to the industrial investments, in particular in the shoe industry. These industries are a reference point for the whole surrounding area.
The old city, Caesaranum in Latin, has Roman origins. Traces of the late Roman period settlement has been found and excavated in 1976 in the town's district Casaranello.
In that same area rises a real jewel of the Early Christian Art, the Church of Maria della Croce. Built on a Latin Cross shape base presents a series of frescos and mosaics of great historic and artistic value.
Not to miss; the Basilian crypt of the Holy Cross and the Church of SS. Annunziata, built in 1720, a typical example of Apulia - Baroque style.