Gallipoli is one of the largest town halls on the Ionian Coast of the Salento Region. The city is divided into two sections: the new district and the old one, both on the sea.
The old city centre is built on a chalky island, connected to the mainland with a stone built bridge of the '700. Inside the district arise old buildings, some with frescos, narrow alleys and enchanting squares. In 1500 high fortified walls were built to defend the city from eventual raids. In '800, these walls were lowered and gave space to a more panoramic pathway.
The new district edified on the mainland proposes new buildings such as the Glass Skyscraper.
The local economy is based on tourism, agriculture and fishing. Since '600, Gallipoli was an important olive oil trading centre. Ships would leave from its port with many a destination and a lot of foreign countries established their consulates in the city.
The origins are not certified as it seems to have been founded by the Messapi (an antique Italic population) to then be part of the Ancient Greece colonies. After choosing to be, with Taranto, one of the allies of Pirro, its army was defeated and conquered by the Romans.
During the Middle Ages the city was ruled by the Pontifical State at first and later by the Principality of Taranto.
Gallipoli is also known as "the Pearl of the Ionian Sea" and its beauty is a major tourist attraction.
Not to miss: the Anjou Castle, the Cathedral entitled to Sant'Agata and the famous Greek fountain.