Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Trentino Alto Adige Meran and surroundings Lana

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Lana

Description

Lana (Lana, also in German) is the seventh largest municipality in extension of the province of Bolzano and is located at the southern edge of the plain of Merano, along the banks of the valley of the River Adige, in a particularly strategic location, protected from cold winds and characterized by a mild climate. This position allowed not only a flourishing cultivation of fruit trees (especially apples), but also the development of a touristic resort, suitable in all periods of the year.
It is beautiful and picturesque location, embellished with castles and churches, connected by beautiful trails, the local traditions of producing excellent wines, excellent cuisine and the splendid natural landscapes, almost fairy-style, complete the picture of this centre, open to tourism in all seasons of the year.
Relics from the Stone Age, found on the hill Hippolytus, attest that the area was inhabited since the ancient times.
The town's name probably derives from the Latin name "Leonianum" (lands of Leo) and is documented with the name of "Lenon" in a text of 990. The major development of the urban structure was recorded in the late XIX century, when Lana, until then only a small agricultural center, dedicated its economy to the production of wine and apples, it was equipped with one of stations of the first tramway in the Tyrol, and departure station of the first passenger cable car in the World.
Sites of Interest:
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, Lana, considered one of the finest late-Gothic architectonic masterpieces of South Tyrol. It was erected in place of a pre-existing Romanesque church and was consecrated in 1492. Of particular interest is the impressive Gothic altar, masterpiece of the artist Hans Schnatterpeck;
- the Gothic Church of Sant'Agatha, mentioned, for the first time, only in 1306, during the last restoration work, some Romanesque frescoes were discovered and brought back to the light;
- the Romanesque Church of Santa Margherita;
- Braunsberg Castle, owned by the Family of the Counts von Trapp since 1492. The building, surrounded by tall cypress trees, is surrounded by a fortified wall with battlements and encloses a small courtyard, a palace, a chapel dedicated to San Blasio and a watchtower;
- the ruins of the Castle of Brandis;
- the South Tyrol Museum of Fruit, inside the Larchgut Family residence.

Map

This town web page has been visited 19,311 times.

Choose language

italiano

english