Also known with the nickname of "garden town", Lagundo (Algund in German) is a municipality in the province of Bolzano, at short distance from Merano, surrounded by orchards and the unspoiled nature of the Nature Park of the Tessa. An ideal destination for lovers of peace and tranquility, the town offers a network of 160 km of trails.
Connected to the ancient Roman road "Claudia Augusta Altinate", the main centre is divided into two, due to the co-existence with the town of Parcines. The town's name was documented for the first time in 995 and derives from the Latin word "lacus" (lake) or "lacumen" (lagoon). The discovery of standing stones, dating back to 3000 years ago, attest the presence of settlements since ancient times.
Not to miss:
- the new Parish Church dedicated to St. Joseph, a splendid example of modern architecture. The building is flanked by a 70m tall Bell Tower, rich in symbolism that invites the viewer to meditate on the great works of Holy Church;
- the Church of Holy Mary, in early Gothic style;
- the Monastery of Maria Steinach, built by request of the Countess Adelaide, daughter of Count Albert of Tyrol. Inside are preserved a series of valuable frescoes of the XV century;
- the Chapel of St. Joseph;
- the Church of St. Ulrich;
- the old XV century Parish Church of Saints Ippolito and Erardo;
- the Church of St. Mary of the Snow;
- the Forst brewery, one of the largest beer factories in Italy, founded in 1857;
- the Menhir, standing stones that date back to 3000 years ago, now housed in the Civic Museum of Bolzano;
- the remains of the foundations of a Roman bridge, which used to connect the centre to the road Augusta Altinate;
- the so-called "coppelle" (cups), ancient stones tied to the prehistoric cults, traced along the trails of Schludenstein, Saxner and Birbameggweg;
- the path of the "rogge" (ancient irrigation channels).