Gargazzone (Gargazon in German) is a quiet and pleasant town in the province of Bolzano, set in the Adige valley, not too far from Merano. It is the ideal location for relaxing holidays, in strict contact with nature and a good occasion for walks, on foot or by mountain bike, along the cycle paths that connect the Adige valley with the Lake Garda.
The place name probably derives from the personal name "Gargeza" and is mentioned for the first time in 1288.
- Kröll Tower, dating back to 1240, was originally a watch tower and is decorated with the coat of arms of the first owners, theTrautsons;
- the parish Church of Sacro Cuore, built in 1899 in neo-Romanesque style;
- the Church of San Giovanni, with a XIV century fresco outside, houses St. Octonius' relics;
- the hole of ice, along the scenic walk;
- the Maso Berger, with a memorial inscription of 1797, commemoring the battle between the French and the Tyrol;
- the natural swimming pool, where water is purified only by plants without adding chlorine or other chemicals.