Municipality in the province of Perugia, located on a hill near the Valnerina, which offers a splendid view over the surrounding green hills of Vallo di Nera and crossed by the river Nera and its tributary Vigi. It is a medieval village with pastel color stone houses, still completely surrounded by ancient walls, interrupted only by dominating watchtowers and gate entrances, and characterized by the presence of concentric streets, narrow and dominated by arches. Here time seems to stand still.
The archaeological findings have enabled historians to attest that the area has been inhabited by local populations since the VIII century B.C. The Romans colonized the region during the period between the IV and II century B.C. and built a settlement here. Since 1178 the territories of Vallo belonged to the fief of the Duke Conrad of Hurslingen and obtained the protection of the city of Spoleto. Representing a fundamental point for the control of local trading, Vallo di Nera was for a long while contented between the Papal State and Spoleto who, during the XIII century managed to seize it. Until the end of the XV century the town experienced an important period of growth and development. Following the clashes, in which Spoleto was involved and that marked the XVI century, the town suffered heavy damage.
- the Church of San Giovanni Battista, dating from the XIII century, was partly rebuilt in the second half of the XVI. In Romanesque style, it overlooks the main town centre and features inside a XVI century fresco attributed to the artist Jacopo Siculus;
- the Hermitage entitled to the Santissima Annunziata. The main church features a Latin cross plan, while the crypt below has a Greek cross plan. At present remains only part of the nave, which is adorned by valuable frescoes of the XV and XVI centuries;
- the Church of Santa Maria, built in the late XIII century in simple forms, features façade with a pointed portal decorated with columns. Inside are preserved frescoes of the XIV and XV centuries, artworks of the pupils of the Art School of Giotto;
- the Church of Santa Caterina, built in 1354;
- the Parish Church of Paterno;
- the Hermitage of San Antonio;
- the Church of San Rocco.