The town's name derives in the first part, from the Germanic word "wald" (forest) and in the second part, from the name of the Family of Count Cattaneo, who built their residences here. It is a municipality in the province of Perugia, located between the mountains of Martani, between the valley of the river Tiber and the valley of Umbria, a territory crossed and washed by two rivers. Gualdo Cattaneo is a typical charming town of medieval origins, rich in art and in history.
The town was founded in 975 by Count Edoardo Cattaneo and assumed a great importance thanks to its strategic location. For a long time the small center was subject to disputes between the cities of Foligno and Spoleto, to which, in turn, it submitted periods of domain. In the XI century the inhabitants allied with Spoleto against Foligno, but in the XII century, Frederick Barbarossa subdued Gualdo and reinstated the domain of the city of Foligno, until at the end of the century, the citizens returned it to their old ally. Ceded to the Papal States, the town was assigned to the Trinci of Foligno, until in the first half of the XV century, the lands submitted the control of governors directly appointed by the Pope. Later it was donated by the Pope to Foligno and for defensive purposes, the construction of the fortress was ordered. During the Restoration Ages the domain returned to the Papal rule until its annexation to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860.
- the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, of ancient foundation, probably in the XIII century, preserves the original structure of the apse and the walls of the perimeter. Inside are featured part of the XVI century frescoes and a wooden crucifix of the same period;
- the Church of San Francesco, built in the second half of the XIII century and features a single nave plan and wooden altars of the XVIII century. The apse is decorated with precious XIV century frescoes and inside is preserved a wooden organ of the XVIII century;
- the Abbey of San Felice with its three naves. It is a typical example of Lombard-Romanesque architecture;
- the Church of Saints Antonio and Antonino, built in 1260;
- the Church of St. Augustine;
- the Church of Saint Andrew;
- the medieval Town Hall;
- the XV century Rocca (fortress) of the Borgia.