It is a municipality in the province of Perugia, located in the Upper Tiber Valley, on a ridge overlooking the plain where the river Carpinella flows. The district is crossed by numerous rivers and the old town is characterized by typical medieval features such as narrow streets and staircases that create suggestions of other times.
Attested by numerous finds of the Prehistoric Ages, the area was certainly inhabited since ancient times. The first settlement was built by the Umbrian population, later colonized by the Romans that brought development and prosperity: un the Augustan Ages, the town was proclaimed Municipium. Several traces of this specific prosperous period are still visible in the area, such as villas, aqueducts and roads.
After the Fall of the Roman Empire, the territories were left without order and security, so the town was prey to the Barbarian invasions. In the Middle Ages, Pietralunga acquired a certain autonomy with its own statutes. Between the XI and XV centuries, in order to secure a defense, the inhabitants swore loyalty to Città di Castello. In 1817 the town was recognized as an independent municipality.
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria, built between the VIII and X centuries, was profoundly altered in the XIX century. It features a fine Romanesque portal, a rosette window and inside preserves several precious works of art;
- the Parish Church of De'Saddi, an early Christian church built on the ruins of a Roman temple;
- the XIII century former Convent of St. Augustine;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Rimedi;
- the XIV century Church of the Gonfalone (Banner);
- the early XV century Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo;
- the Rocca Longobarda (fortress) of the VIII century with its a pentagonal base plan;
- the Town Hall, which was built between the XV and XVI centuries;
- the medieval Porta of Cassino;
- the XVII century Clock Tower;
- the numerous archaeological sites;
- Palazzo Fiorucci, built in 1612;
- the Ornithological Museum;
- the Old Town.