The town's name derives from the personal Latin name "Marsius", and the suffix"-anus" to indicate membership. Municipality in the province of Perugia, located on the border with the province of Terni, the region is washed by the River Nestor and is separated from the nearby San Venanzo by Mount Peglia. The surrounding area is particularly charming: of great scenic and unspoiled nature, is rich in artistic and historical sites: fortresses, medieval villages, churches and watchtowers. The district of Compignano, the valley of Fersinone, the Hunting Forest, Sant'Apollinare (an ancient castle that has developed along a single street), the Hill of Monticelli, the ancient town of Spina, make these places precious and offer several attractive settings.
The first document that reports the existence of a settlement, date back to year 1000, a period in which it was granted in fief to the Bulgarelli Family. In the second half of the XIII century, Marsciano became a possession of the city of Perugia and was its ally for a long period of time and subject of a continuous dispute with Todi. In the first half of the XIV century it was invaded and devastated by Emperor Henry VI. From the XVI century, it became part of the Papal States, until the unification of Italy.
- the Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, rebuilt in neo-Gothic style, features a wooden crucifix dating from the XIII century and a fresco from the art school of the Perugino;
- the Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Cerqueto, preserves inside a XV century fresco depicting Saint Sebastian by the Perugino, and a XVI century Crucifixion of the artist Tiberius Diotallevi;
- the small Abbey of Valle Umberto located in Badiola, originally belonged to the Benedictines, features a splendid XVI century portal;
- the XIV century Church of Santa Croce;
- the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Olmeto, which preserves inside a XVI century painting depicting the Madonna della Misericordia;
- the Church of San Silvestro in Papiano, which dates back to year 1000;
- the lodge of Vibi;
- the Castle of the Counts of Marsciano, which features square and circular watchtowers;
- the XVII century Palace of the Monaldi in Compignano;
- the Castle in Castiglione della Valle;
- the Castle and the medieval walls in Castello delle Forme;
- the Museum of brick and terracotta manufacture;
- the Theatre of the Concordia.