It is a municipality in the province of Perugia, located on a promontory, along the Northern shores of Lake Trasimeno: from this vantage point it is possible to admire a superb panorama over the Umbrian countryside and the lake. It is divided between an old main centre, with typical medieval characteristics and surrounded by ancient fortified walls, and a newer area equipped with touristic, sport and bathing facilities. It is an excellent departure point to reach the interesting towns in the nearby, Isola Maggiore and the small village of Castel Rigone, famous for the presence of the Church of Miracles, a splendid example of the Renaissance. The local economy still preserves the tradition of fishing and the processing of iron and copper manufactures.
The area has been inhabited since the Roman times: not far from Passignano, in 217 B.C., took place the historic battle between the Romans and the army of Hannibal that saw victory of the latter. During the Middle Ages, once the fortress was completed, the urban core started to emerge. Passignano submitted the domain of different local Lords: after Uguccione II, it was the turn of the city of Perugia, that for a long while, contended this rule between the cities of Florence and Arezzo, until 1520, when it was acquired by the Baglioni. Later the town belonged to the Oddi, until it passed to the Della Corgna. The latter ceded the fief to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1643.
- the Parish Church of San Cristoforo built before year 1000 on the ruins of an earlier pagan temple, which was larger than the present church. Inside are preserved XV century frescoes of the artist Poicleto of Cola and a XIV century artwork of Bonfigli. Recognizable are also several frescoes that date back more than a century to the XV century ones and a ceramic tile depicting St. Christopher;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of the Oliveto, probably designed by Radi, dates back to the late XVI century. The façade is very simple, surmounted by a pediment. Inside is preserved a sculpture by Ascanio da Cortona and marble holy water baptismal font by the same author in the XVII century, a painting by Nucci and other masterpieces of the Savini;
- the Church of Our Lady of Miracles in Castel Rigone was built in the late XV century. The façade is divided into two tiers and is topped by a pediment and a beautiful portal. The church is flanked by a square shaped Bell Tower built in the XIX century to replace the original one. Inside are preserved several artworks;
- the Church of San Salvatore on the Isola Maggiore, built in the Romanesque style in the XII century;
- the XIV century Church of San Michele Arcangelo, located on the Isola Maggiore;
- the Church of San Rocco in Renaissance style;
- the Church of San Bernardino;
- the medieval boundary walls with three watchtowers and gate entrances;
- the historical main center;
- Villa Isabella;
- La Rocca (the fortress)