The origins of the town's name are uncertain and there are no similar opinions: for some historians, it derives from the name of the god Janus, to whom a temple located in the area was entitled, while for others, it derives from the Roman family "Pacia", whose presence here is attested by different inscriptions. Municipality in the province of Perugia, located on Mount Petrarvella, amongst the green Umbrian hills, not far from Lake Trasimeno, the village of Paciano is surrounded by XVIII century walls and features eight watchtowers and three gate entrances.
Of medieval origins, the village is mentioned for the first time in a diploma of the year 917, in which it was granted by Emperor Berengar I in fief to the Marquis of Bourbon. In the middle of the XIII century it became part of the territory of Perugia and in 1371 the Emperor Charles IV granted the lands to Guglielmo of Beaufort. In the first half of the XV century, the town became a possession of Braccio da Montone and shortly thereafter it was ceded to the Baglioni that exiled the Oddi. The latter managed to return, thanks to the intervention of the Pope, until it was re-annexed to the territory of Perugia. The early XVI century, the Papal States, in order to reward people for loyalty to the Church, exempted them from the payment of several taxes. In 1798 the church lost its possessions and it passed to the Roman Republic.
- the Church of San Carlo Borromeo, whose existence is documented since the XVII century, features an important wooden crucifix of the XVII century;
- the Church of the Madonna della Stella, built in 1572, features a simple façade surmounted by a pediment and preserves inside valuable frescoes of the artist Pecennini;
- the Church of St. Joseph, with its vaulted roof, houses a XV century painting, artwork of Fiorenzo di Lorenzo;
- the Church of San Salvatore in Ceraseto, which is believed to have been built on the ruins of a pagan temple and features a fresco of the artist Caporali;
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria of which the construction date is unknown;
- the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, inside which are preserved two XV century wooden paintings and a fresco by Francesco of Castel della Pieve;
- the XIII century Town Hall;
- Porta Rastrella and Porta Fiorentina;
- the Tower of Orlando.