A municipality in the province of Asti, located on the border with the territory of Alexandria, is washed by the river Tanaro, a tributary of the Po .The surrounding hills are covered with masterful precise drawn lines represented by the vineyards, that with their ordered and perfect geometric lines, make of the territory an art masterpiece. The town's territory features 123 hectares Park, a nature reserve of oak trees and a wide variety of plants and shrubs, while the undergrowth is home to numerous species of flowers. Here it possible to admire a old aged secular beech, more than 25 meters high, and several types of animals and rare species of birds that here find their ideal habitat. The economic vocation is represented by agriculture, in particular the cultivation of vines, from which an excellent Barbera is produced.
The town's origins are uncertain: it seems that the first settlement was built around the X century. The territory belonged to the Benedictine monks, that reclaimed the lands from the marshes and made them fertile. The local population distinguished itself during the partisan struggle during the Second World War. The village was almost completely submerged by a flood in 1994 Tanaro.
Not to miss:
- the parish of Saints Nicholao and Stefano, dating back to 1773, was built on an existing medieval chapel. It features a façade decorated by two-stories of columns and surmounted by a tympanum. The church is flanked by a brick Bell tower, dating back to 1474 and enriched with cornices, mullioned windows and a clock. The church preserves a baptismal font of the XV century;
- the church of Santa Maria de Flesco or Flexo, whose existence has been documented since the first half of the XIV century, but was probably built much earleir. Restored in the XIX century, it features a very simple façade surmounted by a pediment, an arched window and a circular apse. The structure is partly built with bricks recycled from old buildings, known as "ciapellette", that also create a decorative frame in the apse. Inside are preserved paintings of the XI century;
- the Church of Santa Caterina;
- the Cylindrical Watchtower;
- the remains of the fortified walls and the ancient Castle;
- Villa Bologna dating from the XII century;
- the Nature Reserve and Park.