It is a municipality in the province of Alexandria, located on a tuff stone hill, in an area surrounded by vineyards, where three rivers merge into one: Paradiso, Rotaldo and Gattola. A small group of bright colored houses, between which stands out clearly the churches Bell tower and the Civic tower. The antique part of the main centre is characterized by the presence of old buildings divided by a classic medieval grid of narrow streets and several districts and villages scattered in the nearby countryside. Fundamental to the local economy is the production of wines, and important income also comes from vegetable and crop cultivations and the exploitation of the tuff stone caves.
The first documented evidence of the existence of the village date back to year 1000. For its particular geographical location, Rosignano was fortified by the construction of three castles: one built to defend the old centre, the castle D'Uviglie and the castle of St. Bartholomew. In the mid XIII century the town acquired autonomy and was proclaimed municipality, even though the community swore allegiance to the Marquis William VII. Its statutes were completed under Manfredo IV of Saluzzo. Over the following centuries, Rosignano followed the fate of all the noble families historically present in the territory of the Monferrato area, such as: the Aleramici, the Paleologi, the Gonzaga, the Savoy and finally the French. During the Napoleonic era it became the capital of the Canton and in this way it gained importance and developed considerably.
Not to miss:
- the Parish of St. Victor the Martyr, built in 1484, which was the convent of the Carmelites. Inside it preserves a XVI century wooden choir and statues dating from the XIII century, depicting the Madonna and St. Francis. The façade features a modern look, given after the renovations in the early XX century, a beautiful neo-Gothic style with contrasting horizontal bands of different colors, interrupted by four perpendicular buttresses, two windows and a Gothic rose window. The simple-looking tower is surmounted by a spire;
- the Church of St. Anthony, located near the parish, built in Romanesque style, dates from the XII century and is the oldest in the town. The current façade is the result of a remake of the XVII century;
- the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie, dating from the XVII century, is located just after the cemetery. Preceded by a staircase, the façade is topped by a curved top gable, the entrance features a lancet window shape but lacks the central column and is overlooked by another two-light window;
- the Church of St. Martin, located in the village, is in Gothic style. It was built in 1868 on the ruins of an earlier building of which remains the only Baroque Bell tower;
- the Castle of San Bartholomew, which dates back to the XIII century in which underground tunnels, dungeons and cellars are built into the rock;
- the Castle D'Uviglie, which keeps valuable furnishings and features a beautiful park;
- the City Tower located next to Town Hall.