The origins of the town's name are uncertain, for some it derives from a Latin proper name "Callucius ", while for others, from "Calocero" (the antique name of San Calogero). It is a municipality in the province of Asti, located on a hill, richly cultivated with vines and fruit trees and is dominated by the enormous castle. Its secular production of DOC wines and gastronomic traditions have made the town and its countryside famous and appreciated world-wide.
The first historical records on Calosso date back to 960 A.D. In the early XII century the town was part of the consortium of Acquosana. In the XIV century it was directly involved in the clashes between the Ghibellines and Ghelfi: the latter massacred the inhabitants and destroyed the entire town center, that only a few years later was sold to the banker of Asti, Roero. In 1387 it became part of the dowry of Valentina Visconti, and thanks to the latter's marriage with Louis of Orleans, it became part of the French territories for a century and a half. In 1642 the center was destroyed again and only at the end of the XVII century, the conditions for the development and prosperity were re-established.
- the Parish Church of St. Martin, in the Baroque style, was built in the late XVII century on the site where once stood an pre-existing building, that results present in a historical document of the early XIII century. The building underwent major changes in the late XIX century that caused the loss of some original frescoes dating from the XVIII century. It currently features a Classical style with a façade with columns, surmounted by a pediment and flanked by two great sides added in 1896, which replaced the side chapels. The portal proposes skillfully engraved decorations and the Bell tower, built at the same time as the church and from where it is possible to admire a panorama over the countryside, is topped by a spire featuring San Martin on horseback. Inside the church preserves a precious wooden choir recently restored, probably dating from the early XVIII century and an organ installed in the late XIX century;
- the Chapel dedicated to St. Alexander Sauli;
- the XIV century Castle, property of the Roero Family, responsible also for the restructuring in the XVII century. The current building has a completely different look to the original one, characterized by a cylindrical tower with battlements, a XVIII century portal and a lounge decorated with stucco work of the XVIII century. It is surrounded by a beautiful park.
The historic center.