A municipality in the province of Alessandria, the village of Cerrina Monferrato consists of two main clusters of houses: the old center is concentrated around a fortified house (casa forte), today seat of the Library, situated on the top of a hill, while the new part of the town grows along the main road that links Casale to Chivasso. In the first half of the XX century the surrounding towns, each one independent, were aggregated and became districts of Cerrina, such as: Montaldo, Piancerreto, Rosingo and Montalero, the latter on the left bank of the river Stura, is famous for the presence of an imposing castle of medieval origins.
The lands were donated by the Lombard King Ariperto to the Monastery of Lucedio and subsequently it became domain of the bishops of Vercelli. It then became fief under the rule of the Marquises of Montferrato and the Counts of Valenza. To the latter go the merit of the establishment of the City in the first half of the XVII century. After a period of domain of the Durazzo Pallavicini, from the late XVIII century, it submitted the domain of the Savoy and shared the same historical events. The district of Montalero, instead, belonged to the Montaleri Family which allied to the Mazzetti Family and later, in the XVIII century, with the Calcamuggi.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of SS. Nazario and Celso, which features a classical façade, characterized by the presence of two double columns with rich capitals, and surmounted by a decorated pediment. The building is flanked by a Bell tower, positioned at the back;
- the church of Orta San Giulio in Rosingo;
- the Castle of Montalero, built around year 1000, it was mentioned in a historical document of the XI century. Over the centuries, the massive building has submitted several alterations and was famous for being the residence of the Counts Calcamuggi and Mazzetti;
- the XV century Fortress, which is enriched by beautiful lancet windows.