The name derives from the verb "intercede" (to engrave) and the name of Giovanni Battista Scapaccino, an Italian gendarme, that received the first gold medal of the Italian army.
Municipality in the province of Asti, the territory is composed of a number of villages and districts and is crossed by the river Belbo. The area features industrial installations and a thriving agricultural vocation. Incisa is also an interesting departure point for memorable excursions to destinations such as Lake Valtiverno and the woods of Val Sarmassa.
Although it has been mentioned, for the first time, in a document dating from year 1000, the discovery of remains evidence, without doubt, that the center has Roman origins. It was the main center of Aleramica Marquisate, including the castles of Incisa, Vaglio, Bergamasco, Castelnuovo, Carentino and others, until the first half of the XVI century, when the area was conquered by Guglielmo IX of Montferrato, who chose it for its particular dominance on the surrounding area. During the Medieval period the residential area, surrounded by walls, was restricted to the area on the hill Villa and only from the XVI century, its boundaries extended towards the nearby plain, bordering the province of Alessandria. After being ruled, over the centuries, by several noble families, in the early XVIII century it became part of the domain of Savoy.
Not to miss:
- the Church of Our Lady del Carmine in Borgo Villa, dating from the XIV century, and its Bell Tower are entirely built and decorated in terracotto. Inside it preserves a XVII century organ;
- the remains of the Castle, situated in the center of the town. The construction, according to some historians dates back to the XI century, but the first official mention dates to 1161, when it was proclaimed seat of the Marquis of Incisa. It was partially destroyed in the late XIII century and restored in subsequent years. Damaged again in the XVI century, it was restructured and finally destroyed during the wars of succession of Monferrato. Its stones were used in part to build the surrounding houses and in the XVIII century to build the Parish church;
- the Church of Saints Vittore and Corona, originally built in the first half of the XVIII century with a Greek cross plan, it was rebuilt in the XIX century and today features a Latin cross plan. In Baroque style, the façade features an antique wooden portal and inside it is richly decorated with frescoes of the artists and brothers Ivaldi of Ponzone. The steeple has been recently rebuilt in the 70s;
- the Church of St. John the Baptist, which dates back to the XIII century;
- the Church of San Antonio Abbate;
- the Church of Virgo Potens;
- the XI century fortified walls and the XV century Porta Valcalzara, that features a large central arch and is the only survivor of the three main gateway entrances that permitted the access to the old town centre;
- Palazzo Serbelloni Busca, today seat of the Town Hall;
- the new Castle of the XX century.