The name probably derives from its particular location, perched on the coast or from a very common tree variety of the area, the tiglio (lime tree). Municipality in the province of Asti, located on the border with the territory of Cuneo, Langhe and Monferrato, the town center consists of a number of districts that all feature evidence and important traces of a rich past. Between these is Loreto, a district linked to several important historical events, sometimes legendary. Several castles were built to defend the fief of Costigliole. The area is famous for its delicatessen and its fine wines, appreciated World-wide, such as: Barbera, Brachetto, Dolcetto, Chardonnay and many others.
The discovery of a "pirogue" evidences that the area was already inhabited in prehistoric times. The Roman presence is attested by a plaque found in the surroundings of the town. The first documented reports of the existence of a settlement in the area are of the first half of the XI century. In 1255 the town was enlarged, when the nearby town of Loreto was destroyed by the troops Asti. The difficult coexistence gave way to the building of smaller districts in neighborhood of Costigliole. Over the years the town was alternately linked to the Solaro and to the De Castello, respectively Guelphs and Ghibellines, until in 1315, when it was ceded to the family Asinari, that only a few years later, submitted the area to the Savoy, removing themselves from the domain of the town of Asti.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of the Our Lady of Loreto, dates back to the mid XIX century. The original structure, partially collapsed in 1811, presents a façade enriched by two levels of columns, surmounted by a small gable. It features a three wide aisled plan and is enriched with decorations and frescoes by Giuseppe Peretti. It preserves masterpieces of Lorenzo Peretti and Michelangelo Pittatore;
- the Church of the Confraternity of San Gerolamo, a fine example of Baroque style in Piedmont, home of the Museum of Sacred Art;
- the Church of Mercy founded in 1610;
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna;
- the Parish Church of Santissima Annunziata, dating back to 1675;
- the XVII century Parish Church of Bionzo;
- the Parish Church of Loreto, built in 1660;
- the Parish Church of Motta, entitled to St. Francis de Sales;
- the Parish Church of St. Anne, built in 1698;
- the Parish Church of Santa Margherita, built in 1675;
- the Parish Church entitled to the Bishop San Siro;
- the Church of San Carlo;
- the Church of San Michele;
- the Castle of the Counts Verasis Asinari, an impressive building, probably built before year 1000. It features a square plan with sides of 60 meters each, corner towers and a splendid staircase by Juvara , one of the most appreciated Italian Baroque artists;
- the Castle of Burio;
- the Town Hall.