It is a municipality in the province of Asti, located in a small part on a plain and a larger area in the hills. Its territory, which includes many districts, is crossed by the river Belbo. It is World famous for its local gourmet products and its fine wine production: the industrial production of Moscato d'Asti and Asti spumante began in the late XVIII century, and in the fifties with its massive machine production, Canelli became a leader in the winemaking international markets.
Excavations evidence that Canelli was inhabited since Prehistoric times. The Romans settled here and founded a settlement that assumed a certain importance and it appears that, already at that time, the population was dedicated to the cultivation of the vine. The town experienced a long dark period, that ended with the Dark Ages, in 961 it was proclaimed city and during the next century it became lord a possession of the Counts of Acqui, that created the Consortium of Canelli including several surrounding municipalities under its dominion. In the first half of the XIII century, the consortium paid allegiance to the Republic of Asti. Canella became a Marquisate and was ceded to the Scarampi and Asinari families of Asti. In the XVIII and XIX centuries it was the scenario of numerous battles against Monferrato. Till today, Canelli has always shared the same history of the other municipalities of the province of Asti.
Not to miss:
- the Castle or Palace Gancia, built in the XI century and destroyed in the XVII during the war against Monferrato, it is now owned by the Gancia family (today famous for their spumante wines industry);
- the main historical center, very charming and characterized by Baroque buildings, is divided into two districts: the Borgo and Villanuova;
- the underground cellars for the conservation of spumante , underground buildings which house millions of bottles at constant temperature;.
- the Parish of St. Thomas;
- the Parish Church of San Leonardo;
- the Confraternity of San Rocco;.
- the Confraternity of the Annunciation;
- the historical re-enactment of the siege of Canelli, which is held every year in June. 2500 characters in costume play in the careful and exciting reconstruction of the victory of the people of Canelli against the troops of Monferrato.