The town's name was originally Castelnuovo d'Asti, then changed to honor of the Saint who was born in this area. The name is linked to the presence, since year 1000, to a castle around which the town developed. A small center of the Monferrato area, near Asti, Castelnuovo Don Bosco is located on a hill, not far from where two rivers converge: the Rio Bardella and the Rio Nevissano. It is famous for cane and wicker furniture manufacturing and for being the birthplace of the founder of the Salesians, St. Giovanni Bosco, whose childhood home, situated in the district known as Colle Don Bosco, 5 kilometers from the center, has been transformed into a Sanctuary and is now visited by frequent pilgrimages.
The entire area is famous for its rich wine production and in the village of Bardella there is a presence of sulphurous springs.
At first ruled by the Counts of Biandrate and later by Lords of Riva, it was later granted to the Marquis of Monferrato, and belonged to them a long time (except for a small parenthesis of time in which it was submitted to the town of Asti), followed by Lords of Rivalba and, subsequently, to the Lords of Piea. In 1546 it became the fief of Anna d'Alençon and Enrico Suave until the Savoy, took over the control of the territory, until in the early XVII century, they ceded the properties to the Count von Mansfelt. At his death the town passed to Matilde of Savoy.
Not to miss:
- the Parish of St. Andrew, features an XVIII century façade, and preserves inside a painting of Moncalvo.
- the Shrine of Our Lady of the Castle, named so because it flanks the castle, built in Baroque style and dates back to the late XVIII century.
- the XVIII century Church of San Bartolomeo.
- the church of St. Eusebius, a small building in the Romanesque style, has medieval features, except for the façade which was restored in the XVIII century.
- the remains of the Church of Santa Maria of Carnareto in Romanesque style.
- the Church of Santa Maria in Rasetti, situated on a hill near Garesio, has an XVIII century façade, a stone apse and a porch of the XX century.
- the medieval tower, along with other ruins, are what remain of the ancient castle overlooking the town. Altered in the XV century, it features a square base plan.
- Casa Filipello. A fine Art Nouveau building with gardens.
- the Palace of Rivalba.
- the houses and buildings associated with the life of St. Giovanni Bosco in Becchi