The name, according to the most accepted theory, derives from "mons barros" (mount of the sterpeti). A municipality in the province of Asti, situated between two hills, features a series of steep narrow streets that run between buildings full of history and art. It is famous for a local gastronomic specialty: the "amaretti".
The date of the first settlement's foundation is uncertain, but there are important indications that report its ancient origins. In 889 the Hungarians and after the Saracens invaded the area forcing people to leave the original residential complex located in the Mount Cervino Valley and to find refuge in the nearby mountains. The invaders were defeated and expelled by Aleramo. Durably and consistently faithful to the Marquis of Monferrato, in the first half of the XIII century, the town submitted the siege and the occupation of the Lombard League. During the Middle Ages, the town lived a period of great prosperity, thanks to its location, as it was able to control the traffic of goods between Voltri and Savona.
In the XVI century the town submitted the domain of Genoa, that claimed as theirs all the custom tributes. The loss of income and this unfavorable state of affairs, degenerated into several wars in which Mombaruzzo found itself directly involved. In 1625 the French besieged the town and only a few years later the walls were seriously damaged again by the Marquis del Vasto. Only later, under the rule of the Savoy , the whole area experienced a period of great development and prosperity
Not to miss:
- the Church of Santa Maria Maddalena of Early Christian origins and renovated several times over the centuries. It was mentioned for the first time in a document dating from the XV century;
- the Church of Saint Anthony, built in the XV century on a pre-existing XIII century church and restored for the first time in the XVIII century and for a second time in the XIX. During these rearrangements the Gothic baptistery was built, the floors were replaced and made other changes were undertaken . The last refurbishments are attributed to the XX century;
- the Church of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew;
- the former Parish Church of San Marzano;
- the medieval Civic Tower, its original function was to communicate danger with other towers through light signals;
- Palazzo Della Chiesa, which features a fine Renaissance portal;
- Palazzo Pallavicini purchased, in 1709, by the Marquis Gerolamo.