Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Basilicata Pollino National Park Lauria

Most viewed in Lauria

  • Happy Moments Resort Hotel

    Happy Moments Resort Hotel is situated in a very good position, among the high mountains of the Pollino National Park, the Sirino Mount and the beautiful coastline of Maratea. Realised in 1990, Happy Moments Resort Hotel is become a reference for elegant...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




One of the most important centers of the Lucania region, founded, according to some historians in 400 B.C. by a colony of Cretans, with the name of Iriae, which later became Uriah or Golden city). Another school of thought, however, acclaims that the name derives from Lagaria, an ancient city of Siritide region. The first certain evidence, however, dates back to medieval times, when it is mentioned in an official document of 1079 with its traditional name of Uriah. Throughout the centuries it was subjected to various local families until 1806, the year of the abolition of the Duchy of Lauria.
Sites of Interest:
- the remains of the Castle, also known as "the Ruggiero", named after the famous admiral of Aragona and built in the XIII century. It features an octagonal plan with strong outer walls and, probably, spread over three floors;
- the Church of St. Nicholas of Bari, of which there is no certain information about its origins, since most of the historical documents were destroyed in fires caused by the passage of the troops of Napoleon . Inside it preserves paintings by the artist Iannotta and his pupil Lanziani; a superb balustrade that encloses the main altar in polychrome marble, dated 1616, which probably has taken from the nearby ancient Abbey of St. Philip, the baptismal font in local wood and stone, and numerous paintings, artworks by various authors of Southern Italy;
- the Church of St. James, which preserves within a precious carved choir stalls of the XVI century and several paintings attributed to the artists Iannotta and Lanziani;
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Armi (from the Greek word "armos": cave, crack in the rock), which is located on a rocky outcrop not easily accessible, typical feature of the Basilian monasteries in this area;
- the Capuchin Monastery, founded in 1617;
- the Convent of the Immaculate Conception, built in 1507, where a friar received the miraculous apparition of San Bernardino. Interesting is the internal cloister with columns in a Classical style.


This town web page has been visited 30,854 times.

Choose language