Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Basilicata Pollino National Park Castelluccio Superiore

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Castelluccio Superiore

Description

A little town in the province of Potenza, surrounded by the unspoiled nature of the Pollino National Park, Castelluccio Superiore is a typical medieval village on a rocky outcrop, which overlooks and dominates the Mercure-Lao valley below. The earliest settlements in the area date back to IV-III century B.C. and some historians identify it as the old "Tebe Lucana" (Thebes of the Lucans), founded by Osci and destroyed several times, while according to others, it was the site where once arised the ancient Sannite town of "Merulum". The village has medieval origins and was proclaimed fief, which over the centuries, submitted the domain of several different feudal Lords and their families, such as: the Sanseverino, who fortified the settlement building a castle, the Palmieri, the Cicinelli and the Pescara di Diano.
Not to miss:
- the XVI century Church of Santa Margherita, which features a two nave plan with an altar in a locally extracted polychrome stone, an XVIII century wooden choir and a painting by Antonio Stabile of 1580;
- the Church of Our Lady of Grace, also known as San Leonardo, annexed to the castle;
- the Church of Our Lady of Loreto (1522);
- the Church of Our Lady of Constantinople, with its bell shaped façade and sloping roof, preceded by a porch with pointed arches and an arched vault. It is flanked by an octagonal Bell tower;
- the Church of the Madonna del Soccorso (XVII century), located on the mountain Zaccana;
- the Chapel entitled to the Abbot Saint Anthony (XI century).

Map

This town web page has been visited 22,773 times.

Choose language

italiano

english