A small town in the province of Potenza, located in the Pollino National Park, on the slopes of Mount Mancino, Calvera developed around the X-XI centuries, with the arrival in the area of Byzantine monks, that with hard work dedication, reclaimed the lands from the marshes. The village was originally called Kalaurus, which means: "place where one can breathe fresh air." It was mentioned for the first time in a document dated 1041.
Not to miss:
- the Mother Church, with paintings of the XVII and XVIII centuries;
- the Chapel of San Gaetano, located at about 500 meters from the town, it was founded in 1701;
- Palazzo Mazzilli, decorated on the outside walls with a cornice decoration that represents the four seasons, medallions and marble statues, heads of angels and other sculptures. Inside the rooms are furnished with marble busts, including the one distinctive and artistically interest which depicts a Lady with Veil;
- Palazzo Martines-Mazzilli-Salerno, enriched on the outside with fine medallion decorations.