Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Basilicata Pollino National Park Viggianello

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Viggianello

Description

Located at the foot of the Pollino, in the valley of the Mercure-Lao, Viggianello is a town in the province of Potenza. The origins seem to date back to the III century B.C., during the Second Punic War, and the local historians report the presences of a "Castrum Byanelli", settlement built along the ancient Via Popilia. In the X century, Basilian monks settled in the village and in the XI century, the main centre developed around an imposing Norman castle. From 1484 to 1809 the town was always under the control of the Sanseverino of Bisignano.
Sites of Interest:
- the Greek-Roman archaeological areas in the districts of Caloi and Spedarei;
- the remains of the feudal Castle of the Sanseverino;
- the Neoclassical style Church of San Francesco of Paola, built in the last century;
- the Parish Church of St. Catherine, renovated in the first half of the XVII century, although it boasts Byzantine origins. Inside are preserved valuable paintings of the XVII and XVIII centuries, a wooden choir of the XVII century, a pipe organ of 1880, a XVI century baptismal font in alabaster, a marble altar attributed to the sculptor Palmieri and a holy relic of the Saint;
- the Chapel of St. Sebastian, with a splendid wooden ceiling with frescoes;
- the Chapel of the Holy Trinity, with a Basilian dome;
- the Chapel of Santa Maria della Grotta, with a Renaissance portal of white stone;
- the Convent of St. Anthony, of Byzantine origins, located in the district of Pantana;
- the ruins of several Basilian monasteries scattered throughout the territory;
- the noble Palaces (Mastropaolo, Caporale and Filpo);
- the mill Magnacane, located in the district of Falascoso.

Map

This town web page has been visited 18,571 times.

Choose language

italiano

english