Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Basilicata Pollino National Park San Severino Lucano


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail


San Severino Lucano


It is a picturesque mountain village in the province of Potenza, situated on a side of the valley of the river Frido, at the entrance to the north-eastern Massif of the Pollino. The village was built in the XV century when the Sanseverino of Bisignano donated a large farm house and its surrounding lands to the Cistercian monks of the Abbey of St. Mary of Sagittario that, in sign of gratitude, entitled the house with the name of the Sanseverino family. The village was inhabited by settlers who worked the lands of the Cistercian and contributed to the development of the town until 1807, when the Abbey was closed and the lands forfeited by the state.
Sites of Interest:
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Pollino, where according to tradition, a statue of the Virgin was hidden to escape from the iconoclastic fury. The church complex includes a series of annexed buildings, including some rustic dormitories with accommodations for pilgrims;
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, built in the XVII century. Inside are preserved a XVI century wooden crucifix, a sculpture in terracotta by Guido Mazzoni (XVI century) and marble furnishings from the Abbey of Sagittario;
- the privately owned Chapel of the Addolorata ;
- the Church of San Francesco di Paola (1986-1988);
- the Church of St. Mary of Abundance (1700);
- the Chapel of Our Lady del Carmine;
- the Church of St. Vincenzo Ferreri (1765);
- the numerous noble residences and palaces;
- the ruins of the mills, built over the centuries, along the banks of the stream Frido.


This town web page has been visited 23,221 times.

Choose language