Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Basilicata Pollino National Park Castelsaraceno

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Castelsaraceno

Description

Town located in the province of Potenza, with a typical medieval urban structure. Its origins are uncertain: for some historians, the village was founded by the inhabitants of Pianula, to defend themselves from constant Saracen raids, while according to others it was founded by the Saracens in 1031. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1044 and abandoned by the Normans, the town was ceded to Lord of Mango's Family that, in 1086, donated the lands to the abbots of the Abbey of St. Michael the Archangel. With the consequent arrival of the Basilian monks, the country received a decisive impetus of revival and economic growth, also thanks to the important reclaim of the lands from the marshes. The abbots remained and ruled until the XV century. They were followed by the Sanseverino Family, who proceeded to the construction of the baronial palace, the Duke of Rovito, the D'Amato, the Baron Lepore of Molfetta and, finally, to the Picinni.
Not to miss:
- the Church of the Holy Spirit, built in 1542 by Prince Pignatelli, and preserves a triptych by the painter D'Amico, a member of the Neapolitan school of Raphael;
- the XVI century Church of San Rocco and the Capuchin convent, located outside the town's boundries;
- the Baron's Palace, built in the XV century by the Sanseverino;
- the remains of a watermill in the district of Mancusi

Map

This town web page has been visited 19,148 times.

Choose language

italiano

english