A charming town in the Po Valley, in the province of Modena, whose history is closely intertwined with the one of its waterways: the channel Canale Naviglio and the rivers Secchia and Panaro. The village of Bomporto, in fact, developed around the tower of the lighthouse built in 1504 for the guidance of sailors and, thanks to its strategic location for river traffic between Modena, Venice and the Adriatic, in a short time acquired a certain importance . Although "Bomportum" is already mentioned in a document of 1408, it acquired its own autonomy only in 1602. In the second half of the XVIII century Francesco II d'Este ordered the building of a larger dock. In 1815 the municipality was suppressed and the town became a district of the city of Modena until 1859, when it re-established its autonomy and in globed within its borders the districts of Sorbara and Solara.
Sites of Interest:
- the Parish Church, whose porch reminds the features of an ancient Roman villas. It was built in 1609 and dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari Inside the church features a valuable painting of Begarelli, which dates back to 1550;
- the Town Hall, whose board room features a series of painting inspired to the Italian Risorgimento;
- the Darsena or dock (also called Conca), built in the late XVIII century by the Commissioner of the time, Francesco Zannini engineer on request of Francesco II d'Este, of which, still today, it is possible to admire the "Vinciane" gates, constructed to allow the blocking of the flow of the Channel on the river Panaro, when it exceeds a certain level. The gate door works automatically and is based on a hydraulic principle studied by Leonardo da Vinci;
- the district of Sorbara, known for its beautiful stretches of vineyards that produce an excellent Lambrusco wine. Here is located also the Romanesque church of San Vincenzo, already mentioned in 816. After the battle of 1084 it was destroyed and Matilda of Canossa had the church rebuilt and entitled it to Santa Agnese;
- the several noble villas located in the area.