A municipality of the Reggio Emilia region, second in importance only to its provincial capital, Correggio has been inhabited (probably by Celts or Ligurians) since the Iron Age. Followed, later by the Etruscans and the Romans. The village, however, started to assume its present appearance only in the medieval period, under the Lombard rule, while the name "Corega" appears for the first time in a document shortly before year 1000 (approx. 946 A.D.) In the XI century it became part of the fief of the Da Correggio and in 1489 here the painter Antonio Allegri was born. Over the centuries it has become a famous destination for popular artists and poets such as Ludovico Ariosto.
Sites of Interest:
- the Basilica of Saints Michael and Quirino, built between 1516 and 1587, where once stood the old moat. The Classical façade is of recent construction, while the three-nave plan interior preserves a painting by Domenico Fetti, severals paintings, frescoes and sculptures by local artists, a precious ivory casket from the workshop if the Embriachi (XV century) and pieces of antique furniture;
- the Church of Our Lady of the Rose, built by Prince Siro in the XVII century, near the old town center of Correggio;
- the Church of St. Francis, in which are housed two precious works of Correggio ("Madonna of St. Francesco" and "the Escape to Egypt") in addition to the mortal remains of the artist, who was buried here in 1534;
- the Church of St. Joseph, with a superb façade that features a double row of pilasters and niches;
- the Church of San Sebastiano, built in 1591 and completed with a beautiful porch and the tower built in the mid XVII century;
- the Church of Santa Chiara, erected in 1666 in Borro Miniano style, an oval shaped plan building;
- the residence of the Da Correggio;
- the former Hospital of San Sebastian with its Baroque façade;
- Contarelli Palace (1762);
- Palazzo dei Principi, certainly the most representative building in Renaissance style, symbol of the splendor at the times of the domain of the Da Correggio. Completed in 1507, it was on request of Francesca Brandenburg, widow of Count Borso da Correggio, and at her death it became the Court House. The building is an expression of artistic influence of the Court of Ferrara, as its planning was realized by the architect-planner Biagio Rossetti. The façade is simple and harmonious, with exposed bricks and features single and double arched windows. At the centre there is a wonderful portal, one of the most significant of the Renaissance, with richly decorated lintels with bas relief and an elegant balcony above. Inside the beautiful open courtyard, surrounded by a portico with marble columns and beautiful capitals;
- the Town Hall;
- the Torrione, built in the XX century in Liberty style, located on one of the XVI century bastions that once protected the city and traces of which can be admired on the North-Western side of the city.