Known worldwide as the home of the prestigious car factory founded by Engineer "Enzo Ferrari", Maranello is a town in the foothills near Modena, located in an area famous also for the production of Balsamic Vinegar, Parmigiano Reggiano and Parma Ham.
The origins are to be found back in time: Archaeological finds evidence that the area was already inhabited since the Neolithic period and later during the Iron Age. In Roman times it was the scenario of clashes between Romans and Gauls for the domain over the territories and of this period remain traces of a kiln and some pitchers. Probably the town's name derives from the fact that around the year 1000 the families that settled here were originally from Marano and who built here the castle that still exists, around which the village extended.
Sites of Interest:
- the Castle of Maranello, built by a noble family of Marano around year 1000. After various events, it was acquired in 1936 by Giuseppe Graziosi, an important painter and sculptor. It is currently privately owned and not open to visitors;
- the Sanctuary of Puianello entitled to Our Lady of Health;
- the Parish Church of Fogliano, of which there are documented traces since 963;
- the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, which preserves inside a XVI century organ;
- the Torre de Pietrobonis, of medieval origins;
- the "Galleria del Vento" (Wind Tunnel), designed by Renzo Piano and inaugurated in 1997, inside which are performed the aerodynamic tests on the cars of the Ferrari establishment;
- the Galleria Ferrari, located at short distance from the modern factory. One of the most visited museums in the province of Modena, a walkthrough the historic victories of the Ferrari team, presenting the original grand prix cars, world series cars and trophies, highlighted by short movies, drawings and giant posters of famous drivers.
- the new home of the executive offices of the Ferrari, designed by Massimiliano Fuksas;
- a Monument entitled to Enzo Ferrari, created by sculptor of Modena, Marino Quartieri;
- a Monument to the prancing horse, symbol of the Ferrari, by the sculptor of Albanian origin Helidon Xhixha.