A municipality of Modena, where the first archaeological finds of the territory of San Prospero date back to the Roman times. To the fall of the Roman Empire followed a period of neglect which ended the domination of the Lombards, that contributed decisively to the reclamation of lands from the marsh and the subsequently the construction of churches, houses and the cultivation of land. The town's name refers to the Saint to which in year 1000 the first Romanesque church was dedicated.
In these territories, it is possible to admire some of the most beautiful and characteristic buildings of the Modena plain, such as:
- the Dovecote Tower, a multi-storey complex with a slender shape, on whose summit was the dovecote (Casa Tusini, Casino Torre);
- the Country houses, built in the outskirts and not far from the town center (the Villas Alessandrini and Rizzatti, the Torrioni (watch towers), the former Villa Vecchi, Casa Valisnieri and Villa Bulgarelli);
- the "Casini delle Delizie", large hunting lodges with banqueting facilities, where important feasts were held. Natural extensions of several rustic palaces in the country, such as: Casino Barbieri and Casino Zanfrognini;
- the Court Houses, noble residences and at the same time, large farms (Corte Bocchi, Corte Tusini, Corte Verdeta);
Other interesting sites:
- the Church of San Prospero, which dates back to 1779, when the old chapel, which was in state of disrepair, was demolished and in its place the new one was built in Renaissance style;
- the Church of San Lorenzo, flanked by a Bell Tower that dates back to 1090.