A mountain village in the province of Verbano Cusio Ossola, part of the Lower Ossola, Vogogna located in its homonymous valley is surrounded by evergreen woods and mountains, including Monte Rosa. Located near the towns of Pieve Vergonte, Pallanzeno and Piedimulera and near the lakes of Mergozzo, Orta and Maggiore, it is well connected with Milan and Switzerland through the Simplon Pass, and for its particular location it has always been a place of strategic importance from a military point of view and, until recently the opening of a new tunnel, it was the only way to reach the Simplon. It consists of a group of houses clustered around a vigorous looking castle. It carefully preserves a medieval village, paved with river pebbles, famous for its hosting of various events.
The town was mentioned for the first time in a parchment dated 970 A.D., and from year 1000, it was subject to the municipality center of Vergonte. Only in the first half of the XIV century, after a flood which destroyed most of the valley, Vogogna gained political and administrative importance and became the seat of the Court until the XIX century. The town experienced a long period of prosperity under the rule of the Visconti and the Borromeo families, but with the advent of the Spaniards and Austrians, the destruction caused by frequent natural disasters and epidemics, a slow decline of the center began, that became devastating with the Savoy. In 1771 the town lost its jurisdiction over Beura, Cardezza, Masera and Trontano and was divided into six independent municipalities. In 1798, influenced by the ideas propagated by the French Revolution, it was the site of revolutionary movements. In 1818 Vogogna, finally, lost the mandate and became a mere municipality.
No to miss:
- the majestic Church of the Sacred Heart, whose construction began in 1894 and completed in 1904, is in neo-Gothic style. It presents frescoes by Giuseppe De Giorgi and fine wood furnishings and marble from an existing church. Remarkable is the organ recently restored.
- the Oratory of Santa Marta, dating from the XV century, was mentioned for the first time in documents of 1575. Initially composed of a nave and a choir, it was enlarged in 1759 with the addition of the sacristy. In 1811 it was embellished by a marble balustrade, originally of another church of the Serviti. It is located in the old town and features an important collection of fine furnishings.
- the Oratory of Santa Maria delle Grazie, built in the XVII century in the village of Dresio, it preserves inside statues and paintings of artistic value. It has been restored in 1890.
- the Oratory of San Zeno, built as a chapel in the XIV century, it was enlarged in the XVII century. Located in San Zeno, it keeps a picture of Valentino Rossetti.
- the Oratory of San Pietro in Dresio, is the oldest religious building of the area and dates back to the X-XI century and features XV century frescoes attributed to Giovanni da Campo.
- the Oratory of San Martino in Genestredo, dates back to 1580, as evidenced by the date engraved on the bell. It features a single nave plan and a porch decorated with frescoes, statues and paintings
- the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, also known as the Church of the Padri Serviti, dates back to the XV century. In 1798 it was desecrated and the works contained were transferred elsewhere. It is currently the chapel of the cemetery.
- the Oratory of Loreto, expanded in 1641, is located in the district of Loreto.
- the Oratory of the Holy G. Baptist and Bernard d'Aosta in the hamlet of Prata.
- the Parish of Saints James and Christopher.
- the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- the castle, situated above the village, was built in the XIV century, probably by request of Giovanni Visconti in order to protect the village and the entire valley. The original structure was a square tower and a part of fortified walls. In 1348 when new buildings were added, the conformation of the territory made the plan of the castle irregular. In the XVIII century it was used as a prison.