The origins of the town's name are somewhat uncertain: it could be linked to the Roman Family surname of "Gens Nonia", of which distinguished representatives lived in the area.
Municipality In the province of Verbano Cusola Ossola area, whose territories border with those of the Provinces of Vercelli and Novara, the village, with its narrow medieval streets, is situated at the foot of the evergreen environment of the mountains of Cregno and Pizzo, overlooking the shores of Lake Orta and overwhelming the small settlement of Oira, famous for the extraction of coil. The other district is Brolo, famous as the land of cats and for the presence of a monument dedicated to the cat and to the designs of cats on the façades of several houses. For a few days a year, Nonio features a peculiar phenomenon: a double sunset, because the sun hidden behind a mountain crop, reappears and finally sets. Departure point for memorable trekking excursions with several picturesque spots to reach, among which the waterfall dell'Aqualba, formed by the river Qualba and which creates an incredibly beautiful scenery. The local economy is based on the metal and wood crafts, marble extraction and tourism.
The origins of the center are certainly old, evidenced by the discovery of Roman and Celtic traces. The town shared the same fate and historical events that affected the other municipalities of the area of Lake Orta and was already a fief since year 962 under the rule of the Bishops of Novara.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of San Biagio Bishop and Martyr, built in Baroque style, it is flanked by a Bell tower in Romanesque style;
- the Parish Church of Sant'Antonio Abate in district of Brolo, which was built in the early XVI century, enlarged in 1662 with the addition of a sacristy and a porch outside, and embellished, in 1751, with the construction of the chapel and an altar of the Crucifix in gilded wood. The expansion continued in subsequent years with the construction, among other things, of the baptistery and a chancel chapel;
- the Oratory of St. Sylvester, whose original chapel probably dates from the XIII century;
- the Oratory of Our Lady of Sorrows in Brolo, which was consecrated only in the first half of the XVIII century;
- the gateway of Vicolo Tavola;
- Villa Tarsis in Brolo, whose construction began in the XVII century and features a beautiful Italian garden and a façade decorated with frescoes.