The name derives from the Latin word "Gaudianum. It is a municipality in the province of Novara, located a short distance from the Southern shore of Lake Orta, on a plain surrounded by hills, between the territories of Valsesia and Agogna. Thanks to its unique location and the protection of hills and the proximity of the lake, the whole area enjoys a mild climate. The territory is divided between a number of villages and districts. The local industry features small textile and bathroom fixture factories.
The town's name assumes the presence, in the late Imperial era, in this area, of a Roman villa. During the period of the Lombard Duchy it was one of the most important centers, while around year 1000 the lands were donated by Emperor Otto I to the Parish of the Church of Novara. In 1767 the town was ceded in a deed of assignment of domain by the Bishop Bertone to the King of Sardinia in exchange for rights granted for the Riviera d'Orta. In 1818, Gozzano became the main centre of the county in which the area was divided at the times.
Not to miss:
- the Basilica of St. Julian, situated on the hill, located above the main centre and was built in the IX century in Romanesque style, while two hundred years later, the Bell tower was added. The church was completely restored in the XII century and only few original elements remain of the original building. It features a single nave plan with a semicircular apse and side chapels, including the one entitled to Our Lady of the Rosary decorated with frescoes by Lorenzo Peracino. Inside it preserves two paintings of the artist Ronchelli, depicting scenes from the life of St. Julian, whose remains are kept in the chancel area;
- the Church of San Lorenzo, which is the oldest of the area, founded according to local tales by San Julian, himself in the IV century. It was rebuilt in the XII century and has been restored several times thereafter;
- the Church of Santa Maria del Boggio, rebuilt between the XVI and XVII centuries, it features a fine XVII century Flemish altar and a wooden altarpiece depicted by the artist Turchi;
- the XV century Church of Santa Maria in the district of Luzzara with its valuable frescoes that date back to XV-XVI centuries;
- the XVI century Church of Saints Martha, Rocco and Bernardino;
- the Chapel of Sacred Crucifix in Saccamiglio;
- the XVII century Oratory of St. Gaetano;
- the Episcopal Palace, built between the XIII - XVIII centuries;
- the XVI century Palace of the Community;
- the Oratory of Saint Mary of the Snows;
- the watch tower in Buccione which dates back to the XII century and is what remains of the Bishop's castle;
- the main entrance to the Castle, built and decorated between the XI-XIII centuries;
- the Palazzo Ferrari Ardicini.