On the origins of the town's name, there are recorded several theories: some historians attest that it derives from Vulgar Latin "Guifa", a sign that the Romans used to mark the presence of a farm, while others, believe it derives from German and means wrap the yarn.
Municipality in the province of Verbania, whose territories are annexed to those of Verbania, Ghiffa is a complex of a number of local villages and settlements and is situated on the banks of Lake Maggiore. The town, today a touristic resort, offers several holiday options between nature, history and architectural beauty. There are several trails and paths to follow to discover the beautiful area of the lake with its small votive chapels, that underpin the Natural Reserve of Sacro Monte, including large wood area, rich in chestnut, oak and ash trees.
The first reports of Ghiffa date back to Middle Ages, a time when the territory was part of the deans of St. Maurice. In the first half of the XV century, the feud along with other lands was granted to the Marquis Morigia by Filippo Maria Visconti and in the XVIII century it became part of the domain of the Borromeo.
Not to miss:
- the Sanctuary of S.S. Trinity at the Sacro Monte, a complex of three chapels: the first, built in the first half of the XVII century, is dedicated to the coronation of Mary and features an octagonal plan; the second of the second half of the XVII century, dedicated to St. John the Baptist and the third dedicated to Abraham, built in the early XVIII century, with the shape of a cross. The complex also features the whole series of the stations of the Cross, composed of 14 arches and a chapel dedicated to the Addolorata, dating back to 1761;
- the Church of Santa Maria Assunta. A pre-existent oratory of 1173, to which was added a second aisle in the XV century and a Bell tower in 1591. The façade was refurbished in the late XIX century, while the portal is of the XVI century. The current structure features three naves with a vault, a rectangular presbytery and preserves inside a series of frescoes of the XV-XVI century;
- the Church of San Maurizio, located on Mount Cargiago, which was built in the XVI century on the remains of a pre-existing building of the XII century;
- the Parish Church of Santa Croce;
- the Hat Museum, which features not only a large collection of hats, but also machinery and tools, which illustrate the various phases of the felt manufacture;
- the Special Natural Reserve of Sacro Monte, which extends along the slopes of Mount Cargiago and includes 200 hectares of forest.