The town's name is short for "Dormello" and means "hill doorway", referring its hill location, suitable for defensive needs. Municipality in the province of Novara, whose territories border with Lombardy and is rich in vineyards and woodland. It consists of three large terraces that slope on various altitudes, down to the Lake (in the matter of facts the area of the Lagoni features traces of human presence since the Bronze Age). It is characterized by the presence of the Nature Reserve of the Canneti, an area that extends for four miles between Arona and Castelletto, along the Lake Maggiore, also known for the study of birds.
The main centre was originally a district of Dormello, whose first settlement was dismantled and disappeared. The area was inhabited since the Bronze Age, as evidenced by the discovery of archaeological finds. There are also traces of Iron Age and Roman periods. The area was chosen by a Gallic community that settled here in the III-I century B.C.
The territory of Dormello includes all the villages and districts that connect the hillside to the Lake and the Lagoni. Dormello acquired its autonomy in the first half of the XIX century.
No to miss:
- the XIV century Church of Our Lady of the Fountain, which was originally a monastery dedicated to the Visitation. The name was changed due to the presence of a stream that runs through the building that gave the water to a public washing area. On the outside there is a Roman altar;
- the Church of Madonna della Motta, originally entitled to Our Lady of Grace and features inside a painting of 1113, depicting the Virgin and Child and a XVII century painting of the Nativity;
- the XII century Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, which dominates the town. From its courtyard it is possible to enjoy a splendid view over Lake Maggiore, the Mottarone and the surrounding towns. Inside it preserves the baroque statue of Our Lady of the Rosary, sculptured in 1620, by the artist Tiberino. The building is flanked by a XVII century Bell Tower;
- the Oratory of San Rocco, built in 1648, features a very simple façade, surmounted by a pediment and an XVIII century granite doorway. Within it features a single nave and vault.
- the XVI century Oratory of San Teodoro and San Antonio Abbot in the district La Rotta. It was restored in the XVII century and today it has been incorporated into two subsequent erected buildings, characterized by the scant traces of frescoes on the façade;
- the Chapel of St. Apollonia, which was built in 1821;
- the Gallic Necropolis.