Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Piedmont Lake Maggiore and Lake Orta Verbania

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Verbania

Description

Located on the shore of Lake Maggiore, Verbania is a city founded in 1939 by the fusion of the towns of Intra and Pallanza and it is rich in gardens and parks.
The Villa Taranto Botanical Gardens were created in 1931 when a Scottish gentleman, Captain Neil Boyd McEacharn purchased from the Marchioness of Sant'Elia the property called "La Crocetta" , with the aim of transforming it into one of the world's major botanic gardens. Capt. McEacharn changed the name of the property to "Villa Taranto", after an ancestor created Duke of Taranto by Napoleon. The garden's significance derives not only from its immense botanical wealth (it boasts more than 20,000 varieties and species), but from the harmonious beauty of the whole; the English-style landscaping is complemented by Southern taste and culture, with the integration of elements typical of the Italian-style garden.
The Gardens of Villa San Remigio and Villa Giulia are interesting too.
Palazzo Viani Dugnani hosts the Museo del Paesaggio (Landscape Museum), which is divided into three sections: Painting, Sculpture and Archaeology.
The Oratory of San Remigio, declared National Monument in 1908, was built in Romanesque style during the XI and XII century; it has two aisles, a quadrangular belltower a XIV century portico. The Renaissance Church of Madonna di Campagna is another National Monument, built over a pre-existing Romanesque construction of which only the bell-tower, whose height was later raised, remains.

Map

This town web page has been visited 26,380 times.

Choose language

italiano

english