Originally Madina, it is a municipality in the province of Novara, situated on the border with Lombardy, close to Lesa, Arona, Angera. Overlooking Lake Maggiore, along the beautiful lake side, Meina features a wide avenue, overlooked by magnificent XIX century villas surrounded by beautiful gardens. Particularly interesting are the two villages of Ghevio and Silvera, located on the hills of Vergante in a very favorable position for the lake view. Ghevio presents artifacts dating from the Gallic period and a XI century Bell tower. Silvera, town famous for its stonemasons, is a small cluster of houses and among its historic buildings, it features the Oratory of San Rocco, a building dating back to 1684.
The area has been inhabited since the Bronze Age, as evidenced by the discovery of a stone ax. The first documented report on the town dates back to year 1000: in which it is mentioned as a territorial autonomous district. In 951 Berengar II entrusted the rule of the areas to the Monastery of Santa Maria del Senature of Pavia and in later times it belonged to various Lombard monasteries and to the Abbey of the Holy Martyrs of Arona. In the XIV century it was incorporated into the district, under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Vergante and Lesa and in the XV century to the Borromeo. The local economy evolved over the centuries around the export of goods and the production of paper and textiles.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of St. Margaret, patron saint of the country, built in Baroque style, it was consecrated in 1785. It incorporates an ossuary dating from the XVII century and features a Baptistery, a Chapel entitled to St. Charles and St. Margaret and an apse decorated with three paintings of the XIX century.
- the Oratory of San Rocco in the district of Silvera and dates back to the XIX century.
- the Oratory of St. Anne in the village of Ghevio, originally known as St. Gotthard and dates back to medieval times.
- the Parish of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in the village of Ghevio and features a Romanesque Bell tower.
- the Church, the Madonna of the XVI century.
- Villa Kitzerow dating from the XVIII century.
- Villa Faraone of the XVIII century.
- Villa Faraggiana.
- Villa Paradiso.
- Villa Eden.
- Villa De Savairoux.
- Villa Bonomi.
- the Town Hall of the XVIII century.
- the European Museum of Design.