Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Veneto Padua - Euganean hills Torreglia


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




The town's name is of uncertain origins: for some historians it derives from the Latin word "turricula" (small tower), while for others from "taurlia" (bull fight). Municipality in the province of Padua, located at the foot of the Euganei Hills, the territories are crossed by the river Calcina and includes a series of small plains interrupted by green hills. The town is divided into two areas: the Old Town, located between the hills, and the New Town situated in the valley below. The economy is based on: tourism, aided by its proximity to several thermal spa areas located in the nearby; the cultivation of grain, wine, fruit and industrial production of textiles and building materials. Famous and popular for its food and wine products, including the famous Maraschino liqueur.
It is believed that the first settlements in the area were built during the Roman colonization. At the fall of the Empire, the area was so easy prey for the invading barbarians, that the local inhabitants built several fortified watchtowers to defend themselves from these raids. In the XIII century, the arrival in the territory of the Benedictines brought prosperity and population growth thanks to the reclamation of the marshlands and their subsequent use for cultivation. In the XV century, under the domain of the Serenissima Venetian Republice, several beautiful noble villas were built, still visible today.

- the Hermitage of Santa Maria Annunziata of Monte Rua, which is a complex of 14 cells, equipped with fruit and vegetable gardens, built around the church where the monks used to live. The foundation of the complex dates back to 1334, while building continued in the first half of the XVI century. The church is decorated with XVII century frescoes;
- the Parish Church of San Martino in the village of Luvigliano. Built around 1077, it houses an altarpiece of the artist Santa Croce and a XVII century painting depicting the Holy Family;
- the XVI century Villa dei Vescovi, built under the supervision of the Falconetto, features a square plan with terraces, a superb balcony and staircase. Inside are preserved frescoes of the artist Sustris;
- the Hotel La Torre, built in the early years of the XX century;
- the XV century Castelletto;
- the Passo del Roccolo;
- Villa Tolomei;
- Villa Ferri;
- Villa Verson;
- Villa Maluta;
- Villa Medin.


This town web page has been visited 22,446 times.

Choose language