Several theories have been formulated the justify the origins of the town's name: for some it derives from the Latin "vadum" (step), for others, from the Latin name "Bato", while a third school of thoughts proclaims that it honors "Bacchus", the pagan god of wine. Municipality in the province of Padua, located at the foot of the Euganei Hills, is composed of four main districts, of which Baone is the main centre, and a series of smaller villages. The local economy is mainly based on farming and the production of honey. The area is also famous for the presences of numerous springs of hot and cold water.
Findings demonstrate the existence of a settlement. which dates back to the VIII century B.C. During the period of Roman colonization, the area of the Euganean Hills, went through a period of great wealth. The first document, that attests the existence of a settlement, dates back to shortly after year 1000, while in the XII century it is certified that several fortifications were present between the surrounding hills. In the XI century the town shared the same historical events that involved the Ezzelini Family. The defeat of these, which occurred in 1260, caused the loss of property rights. In the early years of the XV century the territory became part of the Serenissima Republic of Venice and experiencing a new period of relative peace and prosperity, in which marshlands were reclaimed, mining activities developed and the thermal waters of the Val Calaone were capitalized. The following fate is common to that of the other localities of the Padua area.
- the Church of San Lorenzo, of ancient foundation, features a façade decorated with half columns that support a tympanum. The linearity of the structure is interrupted by the portal surmounted by a lunette, two tall, narrow windows and a rose window. Inside is preserved a XVI century painting realized by the Art School of Paolo Veronese and two other valuable paintings by the same authors;
- the XVII century Parish Church of Santa Giustina in Calaone, built in place of an existing church. Of the ancient parish church remains only a stone statue, while the present building preserves two paintings of the artist Zanchi and an altarpiece by Tiepolo. The building is flanked by a Bell Tower whose construction dates back to the XIX century;
- The Church of Ave, built using the materials from an pre-existing tower of the medieval era;
- the remains of the Church of San Fidenzio, of ancient origins;
- the Church of San Giorgio in the Valley of San Giorgio;
- the Church of San Biagio in the Valley of San Giorgio;
- the Monastery on Mount Gemola;
- the Park of the Ginestre, which features an interesting botanical garden;
- the Museum of Villa Beatrice d'Este;
- the remains of the medieval castle;
- Villa Mantua Benavides;
- the historic center;
- Ca 'Orologio;
- Ca 'Barbaro;
- Ca 'Venier;
- the thermal Baths.