In the province of Bolzano, San Genesio (Jenesien in German) is located between the Sarentino Valley and the Adige Valley, on Salto plateau. It is connected with Bolzano both by a road and by a cableway.
The place name is documented for the first time in 1186 and honors the patron Saint to whom the parish church is dedicated.
It is a location that can be visit all year round and it is the ideal destination for nature lovers, thanks to the numerous paths viable on foot, by mountain bike or horseback. Here you can enjoy a wonderful view of the lower valleys and the Dolomites.
- the Church of San Genesio, in Gothic style, built in the X century;
- the Town Hall, old rectory with a Gothic style belltower;
- the Church of San Giacomo in Lavena, dating back to the XII century, one of the oldest in South Tyrol;
- the Church of San Martino, in Cologna;
- the Chapel of San Valentino, dating back to the XII century;
- the ruins of Helfenberg, a castle built in 1180;
- the ruins of Greifenstein, a cstle mentioned for the first time in 1159;
- the Fahrer Weiher lake;
- the largest field of larches in Europe;
- the pyramids of earth, of glacial origin, formed by the erosion of moraine rocks.