Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Sardinia Sardinian East Coast Quartu Sant'Elena

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Quartu Sant'Elena

Description

The first part of the town's name derives from Latin and refers to the location of the village situated on the fourth mile of the main road that connected Palau to Cagliari, while the second part honors the patron saint of the town. Municipality in the province of Cagliari, in the plain of Campidano, near to the massif of the Sette Fratelli (Seven Brothers), the territories include at least 26 miles of beaches and the heterogeneous artificial lake of Molentargius. It is also well known for the local production of fine wines, citrus fruit and patisseries.
The origins of the center are very old, witnessed by the Nuraghi still present in the area. The area was probably inhabited by the Phoenicians, while findings demonstrate the presence of the Carthaginians. The Romans colonized the area and started the extraction of salt. The fall of the Roman Empire created the conditions for the invasion of the Lombards, Vandals and Byzantines. Finally, the area was subject to the dominion of Pisa, under which three of the four smaller villages were combined into a single town. In 1327 the four districts were merged and subjected to the domain of Giacomo II of Aragon until 1718, when the territory passed to the Savoy.

Attractions:
- the Basilica of the Empress St. Elena. The present building was erected in the first half of the XIX century, built in place of an existing church which was destroyed by a fire and whose traces remain only in the XVIII century pulpit and baptismal font. The building features three naves enriched by valuable frescoes;
- the Church of Santa Maria of Cepola. The first traces of its existence date back to the XI century, while in the XIV century the building submitted major renovations. It features a single nave plan;
- the Church of St. Agatha. The original building was erected in the second half of the XII century and submitted refurbishments during the XIII and XIV centuries;
- the Church of San Forzorio. The original structure dates back to the XIII century, but has been renovated several times during the centuries;
- the late XIV century Church of San Benedetto, a small building of great simplicity;
- the Church of St. Anthony of Padua built at the turn of the XIX and early XX centuries;
- the Church of San Luca, situated on a hill, from where it is possible to enjoy a beautiful view over the surrounding areas;
- the XIV century Church of Our Lady of the Good Way;
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Flumini;
- the XVIII century Church of Sant'Efisio;
- the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus;
- the Church of San Pietro in Ponte;
- the Church of Santo Stefano;
- the Church of Sant'Andrea;
- the Museum of Sa Domu 'e Farra, the flour storage, inside which are preserved several traditional objects, once used in everyday life;
- the Tower of Carcangiolas.

Map

This town web page has been visited 21,014 times.

Choose language

italiano

english