Urzulei is a typical mountain village of the Ogliastra area, on the border with Barbagia, in central-eastern Sardinia. It is surrounded by a still untouched natural landscape, consisting in woods, caves, deep gorges and rocky ramparts. The historical center preserves its urban physiognomy, with cobbled stone streets and old buildings.
The evangelization of the area began in the V century, during the Byzantine domination; during the Middle Ages Urzulei was part of Giudicato di Cagliari and in 1288 it became an ultramarine possession of the Republic of Pisa. In 1324 it was included in the Catalan-Aragonese Kingdom of Sardinia.
- the small church of Sant'Antonio (XVI century), refurbished in the first years of the XX century; inside it is possible to admire a XVII century painting depicting Sant'Antonio from Padua, by an unknown author, and another one depicting Sant'Antonio the Abbot, by an Austrian prisoner (1919).
- the Church of San Giorgio, dating from the first half of the XVI century;
- the parish Church of San Giovanni Battista, built between the XVII and the XVIII century. After the restoration of 1958 the structure has now three aisles;
- the rural Church of San Basilio in Mannori;
- "Sa Portiscra" natural oasis;
- the Gorropu gorge, carved by the river Flumineddu over millions of years;
- "Or Murales" nuraghic village, dating back to the Late Bronze Age, consisting in over than 100 circular stone huts, some of which perfectly preserved;
- the remains of "Perdeballa" nuraghe;
- the giants' tombs in S'Arena;
- the cave of "Sa Domu' e s'Orcu", overlooking the town, where, in 1930, was founded a bronze statue called "the mother's dead man", interpreted as an ancient pity, a mother with her killed son died in battle;
- the secular yew tree in Sedda ar Bacas.