Municipality in the province of Cagliari, located in the Sarrabus area along the right bank of the river Flumendosa, in the South-east part of Sardinia, the town of Muravera extends in a valley bounded by a series of hills, not far from the lakes of Feraxi, San Giovanni, Colostrai and Salinas and forest of Baccu Arrodas. It is famous for its almonds and its citrus fruits and features the presence of extensive sandy beaches. The local economy is based on fishing, tourism and small handicraft industries. Each year, the town registers a large flow of tourists attracted by the beautiful sandy beaches, the emerald waters of the sea and the presence of important archaeological, historical and artistic sites in the nearby.
The first settlement in the area dates back to 5000 B.C., while later the same area was colonized by the Phoenicians and the Carthaginians. During the Middle Ages the lands were part of the Giudicato (County) of Gallura. After a period of domination by Pisa, it was conquered by the Aragonese and subjected to the domain of various local Lords, such as the Carroz and the Cappai, until 1839, year of the total abolition of the feudal system. Subject, over the centuries, to pirate attacks, in the XVII century the local inhabitants built an imposing watchtower, still visible today.
- the Church of San Nicola di Bari, erected in the XVI century in late Gothic style, features a single nave plan with side chapels. The presbytery betrays traces of a previous structure of the Aragonese period. Inside, it preserves an XVIII century altar on polychrome marble, a silver cross and a XVII century wooden statue depicting Saint Sebastian. The church is flanked by a Bell Tower in Gothic style;
- the home of the Family Zedda, inside which a Roman cistern used to collect rainwater has been found;
- the former Town Hall, whose construction dates back to the late XIX century;
- the Menhirs of Piscina Rei and of Cuili Piras.